PTO Volunteer Opportunities:
Welcome to the Cape St. Claire PTO! Perhaps you have heard about us through various fundraising activities or the supplies and programs we financially support at our school. Providing these extras is important to us, but our work goes beyond raising money.
Our key mission is to promote an environment at school where teachers and administrators can do their best work and our students can do their best learning. We are always eager to find more great people, like you, to help us meet this goal.
We do not expect a huge time commitment from volunteers. An hour can be a big help to our group and the school, and we have programs and tasks to fit all schedules and interests. Just let us know whether a program, event, or activity interests you and when you might be free to help. (You don’t even have to come to school or attend a meeting to be involved, although we would really like to meet you personally!)
Research shows that students whose parents are involved in their education have better grades and fewer discipline problems. Involvement at the school also makes it easier to establish friendships with teachers and other parents. We promise that the time you give will be worth your while-and fun!
Feel free to call or email if you have any questions. Together we can make a difference at our school!
Heather Szczytko, VP volunteer coordinator
Below is a list of some of the opportunities:
- GM Box Tops: Monthly. Volunteers are needed to sort, cut count and bundle General Mills Box Tops that are collected.
- School Directory: We put together the yearly list of students.
- Book Fair: November. The Scholastic Book Fair has become a traditional way for everyone in the Cape St. Claire community to purchase books. The book fair provides the kids with a chance to shop on their own and is a great place to shop for the Holidays. As in past years, the fair will be held during school hours and one evening during American Education Week. Three to four volunteers will be needed at all times to help the students and parents. Morning, afternoon and evening shifts are needed.
- 5th Grade Committee: Parents of 5th graders are needed to help organize and raise funds to support 5th grade activities. Some fundraising also involved.
- Holiday Secret Shop: Help with this fun child-oriented event scheduled for early December. This is a very popular and exciting evening for the kids . They get to Holiday shop without Mom and Dad! Please help make this an annual event.
- Talent Show: We have a marvelous talent show that is always lots of fun. It’s held in the spring. Help is needed for tryouts, stage, music refreshments, video, etc.
- Movie Night: Movie, popcorn and hot dog event with an evening show. A newly released to DVD movie is shown to sell out crowds in the cafeteria (multipurpose room.) Bring blankets and pillows and settle in with your popcorn and your best school friends. Volunteers will be needed to set up, serve and clean up. These events have been very popular and successful! Fall and Spring dates to be announced.
- Fun Run: Help with this fun family-oriented 1-mile fun run and walk paired with a 5K run through the beautiful community of Cape St. Claire. Help is needed with sponsorship, t-shirts, registration, publicity and day of race activities.
- Membership: Promote, collect and tabulate PTO memberships. We want everyone to join the PTO!
- Spiritwear: Help process and distribute tee shirt orders once a year. PTO provides the opportunity to purchase shirts and other items with the school name and logo at cost.
- Chess Club: Parents of participating students are needed to set up, monitor classes & put away board. Mondays, 7 – 8 AM.
- Yearbook: A combination of photography and design of pages within a group setting. Time requested: composition meetings twice-monthly & photograph special events.
- Cultural Enrichment: The PTO budgets funds for extra programs that might benefit the children. These programs include assemblies on music, arts, science and sometimes just fun! By serving on this committee, you can help explore and choose valuable programs to bring to our school.
- Website: If you are interested in helping maintain our PTO website, please let us know.
- Grocery and Retail Store Fundraising Program: We need someone to promote throughout the year various stores who are willing to donate a percentage of your purchases to our school.
- Kindergarten Lunch Helpers: During Kindergarten lunch, help children open their yogurts, juice boxes, etc.
- Room Parents: One parent is needed in each class or homeroom to help with various activities such as holiday parties and organize classroom helpers. Depending on the response, we may not be able to accommodate everyone who wants to be a room parent. We will let you know by the end of September.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Media: Perform duties as set by the media specialist. May include processing and shelving of books, clerical work and helping students.
- Chessie: Listen to students share CHESSIE books in the media center. Consistent schedule requested.
- 5th Grade Drownproofing Volunteers: (*especially Dads*) are needed for in water and out of water help at the Arundel Swim Center in September. Time requested: Approx. 4 hours each day for 4 days.
- Guest Reader: Read a story to a class. Time will be individually arranged. Guest Reader days have not yet been scheduled. Additional days may be arranged through individual teachers.